It's Seniors Week! Seniors are a vital part of our communities. They are our parents and grandparents, mentors and friends, neighbours and community members, employees and employers, and they make a difference in all of our lives. Even if we can't do it in person, we want to recognize, celebrate, and support seniors this week. For each day of Seniors Week, we are sharing suggestions for ways you can support the seniors in your life safely and responsibly.
1. Keep connected
During these challenging times, it is so important to connect with your elderly loved ones, neighbours, and community members. Many of them are socially isolated which can have detrimental effects on their health and well-being. Fortunately, there are many innovative ways to connect with seniors safely and responsibly. Here are a few!
- Audio or video call, email, or send letters to check-in
- Host a family gathering online
- Send cards, drawings, or letters to a senior in your life or local continuing care facilities
- Arrange outdoor visits (when safe to do so) while following physical distancing restrictions
2. Ask about their needs and offer assistance
You can support the seniors in your life and community by checking on them and offering your assistance! The first step is determining what their needs are - so ask them! Once you know this you can then figure out how to help! Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Offer to assist with grocery shopping and prescription purchases
- Teach them about technology
- Help with yard care
- Reach out to local senior centers and ask how you can help
- Volunteer with organizations that support seniors — like Edmonton Meals on Wheels!
3. Connect seniors to helpful resources
There are a lot of amazing seniors programs, services, and resources that can enhance the safety and well-being of older persons and help them participate as active members of the community. The problem is many seniors don't know about them! Take some time to research what resources are available and share them with the older adults in your life. To make things easier, we've created a list of some of the incredible organizations in our city that work to connect seniors with support services!